So you're ready to finally try Bikram. You've probably heard people raving about how great it is, and read about celebrities who swear by it. Well now it's time you experience this wonderful art of Bikram for yourself.
What You Need to Know About Bikram
Bikram yoga was created by Indian yoga instructor Bikram Choudhury, and became popular in the early 70s. Bikram is a specific form of hot yoga, in which the room is heated to 105 degrees Fahrenheit (or 40.6 degrees Celsius). The sessions run for 90 minutes, and consist of a series of 26 different posturees, in addition to 2 breathing exercises.
Basic Guidelines for Beginners
1. Make sure you drink plenty of water ahead of time. You will be sweating A LOT so it's crucial that you are hydrated. Also bring a water bottle with you so you can stay hydrated throughout the class. Trust me, you're going to need it!
2. Don't arrive on a full stomach. Your last full meal should ideally be 2-3 hours before your class. If you do find yourself hungry before class, have a light snack. Just try to avoid anything heavy, greasy, or fatty.
3. Your clothing should be minimal. It's extremely hot in the room, so the more clothing you're wearing, the more miserable you'll be. Try to find something breathable and that can wick away your sweat. Eros Sport products are PERFECT for Bikram!
4. Get there early. You're going to want make sure you have enough time to set up your mat and towel and become acclimated to the extreme heat. If you're new, you can even ask the instructor where the "cool spots" are, as some areas may not be as hot as others. Near the window, or door is usually a safe bet.
5. Don't be afraid to take a break. Since it's your first session, everything will be new to you and it's perfectly acceptable to take a break when you need it. If you find a posture too difficult, thats okay; don't feel pressured to do something your body simply cannot handle. With practice, you will be able to work up to it!
So what are you waiting for?! You know all you need to know, and now it's time for you to go take your first Bikram yoga class.